Monday, April 16, 2018

Dune - misunderstood classic or incoherent mess.


Dune
(minor Spoiler review)

An hour ago I stepped out of the Astor theatre where I watched Dune on the big screen for the first time since I was a kid. I had recently revisited the film on Netflix but to be honest I treated it more as a background film rather than giving it my full attention. I've never read the books though I have seen the made for TV mini series.  I'm not exactly what you would consider a fan of the Dune universe though I've always heard people tell me how great it is.



My initial thoughts this time through was that visually Dune is not only up there with the original Star Wars trilogy but is in some aspects superior to it. The sets are lavish and feel lived in, the costumes look amazing and there are numerous weird and trippy sequences which helped keep me engaged. Underneath that though is a script that is tough going and the reason for this is that its exposition heavy. Several conversations feel like dry exposition dumps that aren't particularly engaging. Its a problem that often plagues good sci-fi. Writers want to get us up to speed on the universe so that they can get going with the plot but with a limited time frame, they need to give us a lot of information and half the time the audience ends up zoning out.  I'm willing to wager that if I had read the novels prior to watching this, then a lot of the sequences would feel far less disjointed but since I hadn't read them and didn't have wikipedia on standby,  there were several sequences that left me scratching my head. Why is the emperor of the universe taking orders from a giant space slug which navigates through space? What exactly is the water of life and how does its properties differ from the Spice that they're mining amd why does the Barron keep giving himself boils and diseases?  The answers to these questions and more eluded me.

Now having an exposition heavy film isn't necessarily the kiss of death, however, when the characters giving this dialogue feel dry and unengaging then we have a big problem. Kyle McLauchlan gives a reasonable performance as Muad Dib, the messianic hero of the film. Though none of the other cast members get a chance to really shine. Its a pity given the talent involved in the production, Patrick Stewart, Brad Dourif and Sting to name just a few of the strong actors involved in smaller roles. I've always felt that one of the signatures of David Lynch films is that his characters have this weird disconnect from the films they inhabit. This works well within dream sequences and especially in films like Mulholland Drive. In Dune however, it results in the characters becoming much harder to engage or identify with.



So to conclude, whilst Dune is a lavish film to look at with some interesting ideas, it's also difficult for non-fans to engage with in part because its trying to give us too much story in one hit and in part because of the style of acting. I really have no idea how to rate this film. I didn't hate it and it was certainly a great experience to see it on the big screen. That said, I feel that the problems which bog the film down, have prevented it from ever being seen as a true classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment